Friday, October 10, 2008

Yom Kippur was like Halloween... BUT BETTER!

Yom Kippur was pretty darn cool. I wish would have gotten a picture of myself in my Jewish Outfit, but I forgot and cameras were not allowed by the Wall yesterday. So here is the funny story I have to share on why you shouldn't dress just like a Jew.

So I was so excited that I looked so convincing. I got waved right through security and walked down to the Wall with Nicole. I walked to the book shelf and picked up a prayer book. I then went and stood next to Nicole and waited for someone to clear a space in the wall. I read (something) out of the book because the text was pointed and swayed back and forth like a good Jew. Then it happened, this girl sitting in a chair in front of the wall who had probably been there all day turns around and says to me "Did they start the negilla yet?" Or at least thats what I think she said! I didn't no what to do, I was an imposter! I heard myself speak the word "no" in terror. She turned around and I looked to Nicole terrified and mouthed "Nicole I dont know" I put my prayer book to my face (which just made me look more Jewish) and laughed to myself. Had I just ruined her prayers for the day? I moved to a different section of the wall as to not risk standing next to her.

Other than that... It was an awesome prayer time, I read from the prayer time but took most of the time to pray for the salvation of Israel. But come to think of it, that is the first time a Jew has spoken to me in a non shopping/school setting since I have been here... It kinda felt... good.

Well I am off to Shabbat more later!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to hear all about it. Sounds exciting my faux jewess. I love you.

Kendall and Mitzi said...

Hi Girls,
This may be really weird.... you have no idea who I am. So please forgive me for invaiding your blogg. Im a new blogger. My 3 daughters made me do it. Anyway, I was messing around with my blogg and stumbled across yours. You reminded me of my three daughters that I sent to Europe and Germany to study art.

I am so impressed with your blogg, what a great experience for me to read about yours. You both sound incredible, bright, fun and spiritual.

This is a mom thing to say, but...
Be careful and have fun.

Anonymous said...

There is never a dull moment with you is there....ha! Glad you are having such an awesome time. A pic would have been nice though..

Unknown said...

The only thing I can think of to say is "Oy veh!"

I wish I had been there to see it.
Gingee