Thursday, October 9, 2008

Catching up!

Alright so I have to apologize for not writing in sooner. It has been too long, but maybe it's because I have been laying low? I don't even know what to tell you really!

Today is Yom Kippur. And I am dressed like a Jewess for when we go to the wall later. A quick explanation of the holiday. The holiday starts with a 40 day period of forgiveness and prayer. After 30 days starts the new year. Rosh Hashanna starts the New year, and it is now that God writes in the book who is very righteous and who is evil. Those who are either good nor bad have TEN DAYS to get it straight with God. ONLY TEN. So there is a lot of prayer and fasting during this time. Yom Kippur is the day of Atonement when the Priest could go into the Holy of Holies. It is on this day God makes his final decision about which book he writes you into. So today it is so... quiet. I live in a city, and it is always noisy. Today there is not a car on the streets, from the roof you can here the prayers in the Synagogs. Children play in the streets careless of their saftey because of the lack of cars (today is the highest rate of accidents amoung children) Today we will go to the wall where all of the Jews will be wearing white (they usually wear black in mourning for the temple). It is supposedly something to see. Consequently, I dressed as a Jew today, white and all, and I love it. I am a big fan of the tights.

In other news, I am going to try and write more about every day and more often. I understand I dont need to write a novel every day.

This morning I say on the roof and read the Shama, Duet 4. in hebrew. It seemed fitting on the Holiday.

Love you, Claire

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Claire!
Your Mom mentioned the holiday last night at Bible study and Pastor Tyler took a few minutes to discuss and explain Yom Kippur, linking it to Hebrews 9. How wonderful it must be to be there at such a special time.
Gingee